Sunday, April 14, 2013

Two Articles Via The Oil Drum: Shell Looking 50 Years Out; China, Shale Gas, and CO2

Updates

Later, 3:47 pm: When I linked the articles below, I had only scanned through the second one, looking at the graphs. I had not looked at the first article at all, except to note it from The New York Times. I added that note about burning trees as a source of energy as a joke; I wasn't being serious at all.  I guess I wasn't a bit off base.

I'm not sure which article the writer was responding to, but at this link, here was a comment about burning trees for energy:
In sweden it is quite common to collect the forks and sometimes even the tree stumps then logging. They are used as a thermal fuel.
The situation may of course be a little bit different from other countries since there are no coal but plenty trees. Then the forks and the tree stumps have been used there is however nothing more to get regardless of how you plan to use it.
I can't make this stuff up.

Original Post

I will leave you with two linked stories, both from The Oil Drum.

I hope to come back to both these linked stories and comment on them later.

First, from The New York Times: China must exploit its shale gas -- activist environmentalists need to get on board; faux environmentalists can keep advocating burning trees.

And, second, Shell's annual view of long-term energy, out to 2060, this time. Figure 1 at the linked article is particularly noteworthy, certainly in light of the The New York Times article linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment