Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday Morning Links, News, and Commentary

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on what you read, or think you read, at the MillionDollarWay. I am continuing the Bakken blog purely for the enjoyment of it all. The blog has met (actually, exceeded) its objectives as spelled out in the Welcome/Disclaimer pages.

Rarely do I have a day that something about the Bakken does not surprise me.

But today, it's even more exciting than usual. I try to post links to interesting stories I read in my hard copy of The Wall Street Journal, the only print media to which I subscribe.  If you are at all interested in the Bakken, you need to read the articles at the links below that concern oil. They are really quite remarkable. Over the weekend, I connected the dots from several different stories, coming across something that I have not seen posted elsewhere ... until today. And even today, it's a bit subtle, without a graphic, or with out a map. Suffice it to say, there are some exciting things going on in the North American oil patch. I am referring to the "Heard on the Street Article, Buffett's lesson for Canadian oil" article linked below. But that is just one of several very, very interesting stories on oil today.

Most coincidental was the RBN Energy link on Brent pricing today, and the WSJ article on the same subject: Brent pricing. Both are linked below.

********************

The "wind article" was sent to me by a reader, reported by Bloomberg. Thank you. Again, the article points out that there is no redeeming value for these slicers and dicers.

********************

Time to "buy oil"? Oh, yeah. -- Yahoo!Finance - Breakout.

WSJ Links

Section D (Personal Journal):
Section C (Money & Investing):
Section B (Marketplace):
Section A:
  • Obama's Capitol Hill foray; for a "grand bargain," the president needs to convince his own party; good luck; won't happen
  • I guess if North Korea declares war truce 'invalid,' we're back to war; no link; story everywhere; so much white noise. A bigger story is the 3,300 dead pigs that were found in the river that supplies water to Shanghai (China); no link; the blurb says it all
  • Op-ed: the ethanol gas-pump surcharge; the 2007 mandate is needlessly raising US gasoline prices; unfortunately, the WSJ does not get it; this is what the Obama administration wants; the only way folks will give up their cars is to price them out of gasoline; is it even worth linking? Is it even worth reading? Must have been a slow news day for the journal yesterday.
  • About that baby who was 'cured' of HIV; the baby was treated to an exposure to the virus; the baby did not have the disease

2 comments:

  1. enjoy your blog . But, your links to like wsj do not open if a person is not a subscriber to . Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be. I don't know. I know I have never logged on to the Wall Street Journal on-line (or if I have it was some time ago, and I've forgotten).

      I just went to one of the WSJ links and it took me to the full story, and the WSJ said I was not logged in, but yet I was able to see the story.

      I do know if one is not logged in, the WSJ has three peculiarities as it were, which have affected me:

      1) some stories are available to all without logging in
      2) one can access a fair number of stories through "google reader/news" before WSJ stops access -- in the past it's been about eight stories
      3) sometimes my links require subscription, but then when I search again, I find a slightly different URL and and it requires no subscription.

      But that is strange that the WSJ says I am not logged in and yet, the links (via "google reader" seem to work). I was not logged in when linking these articles. I read the hard copy and then type in the headline into the URL space on my Firebox browser; I don't even go through the extra step of clicking on google.

      The good news: one is probably not missing much.

      Try this: copy the words that in the link to where one usually places the URL, and then hit return. I don't use Google. I simply type in the headline into the URL white space and hit return. Using Firefox browser. But I'm not logged into WSJ. But I do know its squirrely.

      Delete