Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Five (5) New Permits -- The Williston Basin, North Dakota, USA

Active rigs: 181 (steady)

Five (5) new permits --
  • Operators: BEXP (4), CLR
  • Fields: Todd (Williams), Cedar Hills (Bowman)
  • Comments: The four BEXP Todd oil wells will be part of the Field Trust
Wells that came off the confidential list were posted earlier; see sidebar at the right.

A producing well is now completed:
  • 23393, 943, XTO, FBIR Baker 34X-25F, Heart Butte, t1/13; cum -- 

*********************

A Note To The Granddaughters

A long time ago, in another life, far, far away, I was awarded a low-interest-rate loan through the Alva J. Field Trust to help pay for college. Superintendent Leon B. Olson was somehow involved. I was quite fortunate to get the scholarship, and over time, I paid back the entire loan. Today, I see that BEXP's four permits in the Todd oil field are for the "Field Trust." I'm sure it is the same trust.

If history is any guide, these BEXP wells should be a great asset for the Field Trust.

Just one more way the Bakken is making a difference for so many. 

By the way, the only superintendent I really "knew" while growing up in Williston was Leon B Olson. I'm glad to see The Bismarck Tribune has not put this article in the archives, that it is still available on-line. It is impossible to overstate how much I thought of Mr Olson. He was truly incredible on so many levels.  To me, he was the "John Wayne of Public School Superintendents" in stature, sagacity, speaking, horse-riding skills, and love of the outdoors.

I do think he would have had mixed feelings about what the Bakken has brought to western North Dakota.

There are a handful of folks I have met over the years whom I will never forget, and Mr Olson is on that short list. Directly and indirectly he made a huge (positive) impact on my life.

4 comments:

  1. I also used Alva J Field loans for part of my schooling, so did many of my friends from Williston. They were a great alternative if you didn't qualify for the subsidized government loans. They now offer scholarships and I know the trust is making/has more money than ever and now it all makes sense. Thanks for the note on them having the mineral rights on some wells. Now if they would just write off my loans :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or a scholarship to go back to school to become an engineer specializing in Bakken drilling. Smile.

      Delete
  2. Thats what I used it for so maybe I can't complain too much! Great program though, made a difference to a lot of people over the years.

    ReplyDelete