Sunday, January 20, 2013

Debt -- Nothing To Do With The Bakken

If you owe the bank a hundred thousand dollars, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank 
a hundred million dollars, you own the bank. 
-- American Proverb, 
from Debt: The First 5,000 Years
David Graeber, 
c.2011.

I have not read reviews of this book. I know nothing more about it than what I've read in Chapter One, but I'm already hooked. I seldom read business books any more. I can't recall the last book I read on politics or economics or business (see my library elsewhere).

Regular readers can probably guess my feelings about the national debt, and my feelings about raising the debt ceiling, and my feelings about Tim Geithner's proposal to end the debt ceiling (whatever that means). It will be interesting to see if my thoughts change any after reading this book.

The synopsis of his academic career at Wiki is very, very interesting. Repeat: his "academic career." If you go to the link and don't have time to read all of it, at least read the "academic career" portion, about halfway down, I suppose.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Don't make any investment decisions based on anything you read at this site. If you have read the book, or if you decide to read the book, you will understand why I placed the disclaimer here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment