Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Honda Civic -- Absolutely Nothing To Do With The Bakken

Note for the Granddaughters

As regular readers know, my primary form of transportation is the bicycle. It used to be the bus and subway, but I haven't used either in quite some months. Everything I need is within cycling distance. This is all when I'm in the Boston area.

But I do have access to automobiles when I need them, primarily to transport the granddaughters various places, and when I drive Miss Daisy to see the ocean; and in California where a car is a must. It is what it is. In Texas, a rental.

I've mentioned that my favorite computer company is Apple, and my favorite car is the Honda Civic, though I don't think often about the latter ... except when I drive it. And "bang for buck" it's an incredible car.

So, today I was surprised to read this in the LA Times:
Honda’s Civic was the bestselling passenger car in November with sales of 30,075 cars.
This might be the end-of-year rankings:
  • Ford F-150 pickup (yup, once again)
  • Toyota Camry (surprise #2 over the Silverado)
  • Chevy Silverado
  • The Honda Civic
Who wudda guessed?

***********************

Elsewhere, I seem to remember the question, "was the 'zero' discovered or invented?" The question appears not to be trivial; a google search revealed 14,300,000 returns.  I am reminded of that question when I listen to Willie Nelson's "Crazy." This is not my favorite "version" but I wanted something different, and in this case one hears three wonderful voices, five if you count the piano and the guitar. But I digress.

I guess I've been listening to "Crazy" for more than 40 years. (Patsy's version was #2 in '62; Roger Maris, #61 in '61) and after all these years it finally dawned on me, while listening to this version: did Willie Nelson write "Crazy" or did he "discover" it. I find it interesting how much music is a part of our lives.

Crazy, Willie Nelson, Diana Krall, Elvis Costello

5 comments:

  1. All Bakken -- false advertising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, I don't "advertise" the blog.

      All Bakken, All The Time means this:

      "All The Time": As long as the internet is up and running, the Million Dollar Way blog should be up and running. I take it down periodically, like once in the past two years.

      "All Bakken": When you get to the blog, I guarantee you can find all I know about the Bakken if you go to the archives at the sidebar on the right.

      The daily stand-alone posts are for the webmaster's benefit, to give him something to do while updating the sidebar. My assumption is that folks don't read the stand-alone posts; they come to the website to read the sidebar.

      The Million Dollar Way, as noted before, is under contract to have no less than 10 percent of stand-alone posts deal with non-Bakken stories. I try to keep it to 10 percent.

      Thank you for giving me an opportunity to explain this (again). See "Welcome" and "Disclaimer" for additional information.

      Delete
  2. All Bakken, All the Time, its good enough for me. Knowing how people think helps to evaluate who they are and what they are preaching. From what I can tell you have a love affair with North Dakota and are proud of your heritage. I have to admit I was never a fan of the state and when we would overfly the state we would joke about the price of housing, its remoteness and not wanting to live there. Well shame of me, now that the checks have started to come in my attitude has completely changed. Now when we overfly the state I proudly tell my fellow pilots about the Bakken and transformation it has brought to the state not to mention our country and its hard working residents. The joke is on me, I wished I would have invested in North Dakota in stead of making jokes about it.

    Secondly you love Apple products, I live in Microsoft land and prefer Windows, I love my iphone but not so much the ipad, Apple doesn’t use “flash” so there is no ipad mouse and some web features don’t work either.

    Lastly you proudly served your country and have a profound love for it. It includes insight into the medical field. Your travels, reading and restaurant choices only add to the interest of the blog.

    Bruce, your editorializing makes your blog both personal and more interesting. Blogs are like eating chicken, you eat what you want and through away the rest. You have a great blog and it’s the only one I read everyday. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments. I can certainly be faulted for being inappropriately exuberant about some things.

      The Bakken posts, I hope, are always accurate, helpful, and interesting.

      The other stuff, not so much --

      In a few days I will be traveling. Blogging will be much more difficult; it's possible I will have to limit my blogging to just the Bakken. We'll see how that goes.

      But again, thank you for your kind comments. The Bakken has been quite the ride.

      Delete
    2. With regard to your comments about wishing you had invested in the Bakken, we all have those thoughts. I am still kicking myself for not ... ... hmmm, investing more in some of the Bakken-centric companies.

      But, in the big scheme of things: I count my blessings in other ways. And that's why I post notes to the granddaughters, to remind folks that there are other things in life than just the Bakken.

      By the way, I agree completely with you regarding the iPad (not the part about Flash) but for other reasons. A couple years ago someone with limited funds, asked me whether to buy an iPad or a laptop. If you can only afford one of the two, it's the laptop. I cannot blog on the iPad to any extent. I have the very first version; maybe the newer versions do more; I don't know). But the iPad meets my needs in other ways. I don't have an iPhone: I would become addicted to it. The computer is "bad" enough.

      I don't know how long you've been following the blog; I wrote about this a long time ago. There really is no difference (in my mind) between the PC and the Apple computers any more. My daughters and I grew up with Apple; we were part of Apple when it was a (religious) cult and we've never moved beyond our "love affair" with Apple. It's a phenomenon I cannot explain.

      The other day a CNBC talking head (who I do not care for) wondered why folks pay twice as much for an Apple product when they could get the same capability for half the price by going with a non-Apple product. It's a good question. And worthy of a MBA or psychology PHD research project.

      Delete