Friday, August 3, 2012

Human Interest Story: Alexander Man-Camp Opens Its Kitchen to the Public

From the Oil Patch Dispatch/Dickinson Press/InsideClimate News:
The Bakken Buffet near Alexander opens its dining facility up to the public, which most crew camps don’t do.

I had been curious about it and finally stopped there recently while driving home to Williston from Watford City.

That night they featured prime rib, halibut and chicken cordon bleu.

I was one of the few people dining that evening who didn’t live in the camp, but I’m told it is starting to catch on with the public.

One of the buffet’s fans is 90-year-old Elma Melland of Alexander. It’s giving locals another dining option they didn’t have before.
This simply warms the cockles of my heart. What a great story. I've spent a bit of time with folks over 85 years old, and companionship is an oft-repeated issue. I also get a kick out of the fact that folks outside of North Dakota and much younger than Elma complain about harsh North Dakota climate. This tends to put things into perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment