Tuesday, June 19, 2012

WSJ Wrap-Up - Tuesday Morning

I'm done for now on this wrap-up, but could provide more notes later.

Fourth section: "Music lessons may benefit the diaper set." --- for new parents, grandparents, something to consider.  We placed a CD player under the cribs of our daughters when they were infants. I truly think it made a difference, but we will never know.

Third section: "FedEx signals freightload of economic woe." Just as I was typing that headline, CNBC mentioned that FedEx was "warning. But now, FedEx exceeds expectations and spikes. Wow, how things change in moments. So, in less then 60 seconds: a) bad news in WSJ; b) bad news on CNBC in a teaser; c) share price pops. This tells me: do your own due diligence (wow, I that cliche), but follow companies you are interested in for awhile, read as much as you can, and invest cautiously. One can seldom predict how the market will react. Disclaimer: this is not an investment site -- simply idle chatter among friends.

"French vote bids austerity adieu," p. C10.  Americans should be happy to see France doing this. We will get to see how this works out. Is the Krugman model the correct model: tax and spend our way out of the recession? I don't know, but I have my hunch.

Biggest story of the day, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not through half of the paper yet: "Microsoft unveils its surface tablet." More on this later. This will be very, very interesting to follow.

"Icahn agent is joining board of Chesapeake," p. B2.

"Exxon ends drilling for Poland shale gas," p. B2. I blogged about this yesterday.

"Google, Apple tighten grip on phones," p. B4.

"Coke ready to share cash, not blame," p. B8. Years ago I owned shares in Coca-Cola but sold a long time ago. I still think it's a nice holding for young investors, getting used to the market.

The first section, not so interesting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment