Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Shout-Out to Karen: Thank You!

Don reminded me how much some of us miss Karen.

I posted some of this yesterday at the bottom of another post:
... a big "thank you" to Karen over at the Bakken Shale Discussion Group. For a long time, on a daily basis, despite having a real life (unlike me), she posted the results of wells that came off the confidential list on a daily basis.  I couldn't wait for her reports to be posted. It was because of her posts, I finally decided to get my own "Basic Subscription" to the NDIC website. One of the nice things about her postings at the Discussion Group, folks would comment on the peculiarities of various wells.  I learned a lot.

I am thanking her again on this stand-alone post -- I hope it doesn't embarrass her -- in case folks missed it yesterday. She probably did more than anyone else to get me really interested in the NDIC reports. 

Karen hasn't posted in several weeks now. I assume her BEXP oil well came in with a typical BEXP IP and she is on a Caribbean beach somewhere. It takes a lot of work to post these results every day, and with the manufacturing phase about ready to kick in, it will only get more challenging.

So, thank you, Karen, wherever you are, and I hope you are enjoying the beverage of your choice on that white, sandy beach.
******
Sometimes I wish this blog was part of "Facebook" so that it could be accessed only by "friends." Yes, that sounds elitist but is not meant to be. I would happily expand the "friends" to whomever wanted to join. But the point is this: at the end of the day, there is a small cadre of folks really, really enthusiastic about the Bakken. And it would be interesting to see them in a "Facebook" group.

But then, the right side of my brain says, "no way, Jose." The anonymity of the Bakken crowd allows a better flow of ideas. "Facebook" friends will result in group think. I get a fair number of comments I cannot post because of the language and a fair number of comments I can't post because it would embarrass "anonymous" due to lack of understanding even basic concepts of economics.

Anyway, I digress.

*******

Karen, if you happen to read this, one favor. Please do not respond. It would only embarrass me. In addition, I would like to think you have been able to break yourself of the Bakken addiction, something I am unable to do. I hope to enter a 12-step program some time down the road.

6 comments:

  1. "I can't post because it would embarrass "anonymous" due to lack of understanding even basic concepts of economics."

    Hey you're not anonymous yet you don't seem embarrassed at your lack of understanding of even basic concept of economics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally hold "anonymous" to higher standards; but this time I will make an exception.

      You are absolutely correct. I have mentioned that repeatedly on this site that I have no formal training in economics. That's why this is not an investment site. It is simply idle chatter among friends.

      Thank you for taking time to point out the obvious.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bruce,
    I couldn't read another derogatory comment about your blog without responding. Please know that a lot of us genuinely enjoy what you share. One of the things I appreciate is that your postings are presented in a very gracious way. The tone of your blog has an underlying civility which is most welcome. I've learned a lot from you and I appreciate your perspective on the Bakken. You manage to keep me up to speed on new developments, while saving me a lot of search time. A double bonus!

    Nice job, Bruce. Keep it up.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, you are very generous.

      In the big scheme of things, I don't get many derogatory comments. Some days I deserve them; I get a bit too political.

      I don't know if I posted it, but someone said my blog will never rise to the next level if I was unable to stay focused on the Bakken. I agree.

      But I'm trying to keep the blog "approachable." I'm trying to keep it at the level of idle chatter at the local diner (in Williston, the Economart). I don't want to take myself too seriously, especially since I only know about 1% of what's really going on in the oil patch.

      As mentioned elsewhere, I am trying to put my non-Bakken comments (political, Apple, etc) into one posting each day so folks can skip those comments easily.

      Hey, on a positive note, I don't know if you ever download the daily activity report from the NDIC site, but today's report was amazing to see a long list of QEP permits -- ten permits in one section. This is the second time QEP has done this. It was amazing. I have posted that information.

      Oh, I digress. I'll take this opportunity to thank Karen again for all the work she did over the years posting results of wells coming off the confidential list at the Bakken Shale Discussion Group.

      Thank you for your kind comments. I might start posting a few more "negative" comments just for the fun of it. The "negative" comments actually energize me to do better. Although positive comments seem to energize me more.

      Delete
    2. OK... So I surely must have missed the subscription notice, because I have been accessing this vast wealth of information, compiled by you, for FREE!! Those who have sent negative comments must surely not get this information for FREE, right??!? Geeeez Louise... I can't believe it!!

      Personally, I LOVE the bonus postings of things beyond the Bakken. I really enjoyed reading about your Kindergarten granddaughter learning how to read. I LOVE all the political postings. This blog, by far, is my #1 favorite go-to site on the web!! Don't change a thing, Bruce!!

      Delete
    3. Not only that (all the things you've mentioned) but also, for free you get my insightful comments on the Bakken well IPs. Glad you enjoy the site. Thank you for taking time to comment.

      And yes, it's all FREE!!!

      Today, the five-year-old learned to ride her bicycle. She got on her new bicycle yesterday for the first time, and asked that the training wheels be removed. Today, her second session and she is riding it on her own.

      Delete