Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Eco-Cars Not Worth The Money -- MSNBC

Link here to MSNBC.
Hoping to squeeze every last mile out of a gallon of gas?  Automakers have been launching a flood of new “eco” models designed to do just that.  But a new report warns that the minimal extra mileage isn’t worth the hefty price tag – which in some cases would require as much as 38 years of driving to recover in terms of lower fuel costs.
The new study by Consumer Reports raises questions about a variety of conventionally powered Eco models, such as Ford Focus SFE, Chevrolet Cruze Eco and Honda Civic HF. But it was also skeptical of the benefits promised by some hybrid models, such as the new Toyota Prius C which, it declares, “is fuel efficient, but not a deal.”
Wow, when MSNBC starts reporting these stories, you know it's all over. Especially when the price of oil continues to drop significantly. 
Even the Prius is of questionable value. Let me know if the article talks about resale value (the most costly piece of an electric vehicle as a relatively short life-span), and there is no standard charging station deployed, meaning that most folks with these coal-powered cars, need to charge their cars at home.

A huge "thank you" to a reader for sending me this article. I don't visit the MSNBC website.

2 comments:

  1. I'll bet you a billion dollars it's not "all over" for eco friendly cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know whether to post this or not; I don't have a billion dollars (nor would I want that much money).

      Remember the welcome and disclaimer for the blog. My comments are based on my worldview and how things will affect me.

      1. Eco-cars will never play a role in my investment lifetime. That's probably true for anyone over the age of 55 years. There will be some niches and some folks will do well by investing in this niche, but there are other places with greater opportunity, such as Facebook and Research in Motion.

      2. I would have bet a billion dollars (that I don't have) two years ago that MSNBC would never be truthful about eco-cars -- and would have lost a billion dollars (that I don't have).

      3. It's interesting that one of the most credible sources for consumer information has published this information. The bloggers have been posting this for quite some time. Nice to see Consumer Reports weigh in with the truth.

      4. I'll tag this post for 10 years from now to see if Eco-cars are still on anyone's radar scope.

      Delete