Thursday, April 26, 2012

Starbucks? Absolutely Nothing To Do With The Bakken

Updates

Later, 9:00 pm: I see that after all that build-up on CNBC, Starbucks beat by one penny.  It looks like I will go out and celebrate tomorrow morning by having an old-fashioned doughnut and a small, black Tall Blonde at Starbucks on Harvard Square, Cambridge.

Original Post

I used to really dislike Starbucks. It's a long story; I won't go through that story again.

But having discovered the Starbucks at Harvard Square in Cambridge, I love it. I absolutely love Starbucks. At least this particular one. I have never thought about it much but, counterintuitively, the floor plans for Starbucks do not seem as uniform as one would expect in a franchise. When one walks into a McDonald's restaurant, it is, 9 times out of 10, exactly what one would expect. But that does not seem true of Starbucks.

The floor plans always seem to be different, but the atmosphere, service, and experience always seem to be the same Starbucks experience.

Having said all that, that I really enjoy Starbucks, is it just me or does CNBC seem to be preoccupied with Starbucks? I had a few minutes between child care responsibilities this afternoon, so I turned into CNBC. And there again, a long segment on Starbucks. Yes, I know that Starbucks is reporting after the market closes, and there's a lot of interest, but it seems between Starbucks and RIMM, CNBC doesn't talk about much else.

The market is up nicely today, after a nice yesterday, and even oil is up, and yet one would hardly know that. But we certainly know all about Starbucks.

Except for rare mentions on Jim Cramer, mentions of  any Bakken company on CNBC is a very, very rare event. As mentioned in earlier posts, CNBC seems to be doing its viewers a disservice. Thank goodness for Al Gore and his invention, the internet. Al Gore was appropriately recognized for his achievements by recently being inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame.

2 comments:

  1. I love Starbucks too! I live in Helsinki, Finland and the very first Starbucks here is opening in a few days. It'll be in the Helsinki airport. I can't wait:)

    ReplyDelete