Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Glendive, Dawson County, Montana

I posted a story about Glendive just a day or so ago, about the oil activity in the area, and the question arose, whether it was local oil activity or spill-over effect from the Bakken along the Montana-North Dakota border.

A reader alerted me to a RMOJ story about Petro-Hunt targeting the Red River formation with a vertical wildcat about 13 miles northwest of Glendive. This is near a successful Petro-Hunt Red River with an IP of 200 bopd.

In addition, a Petro-Hunt well in the same area has produced 38,000 bbls of oil between November, 2010, and Jnuary, 2012, from a vertical well that targeted the Ordovician.

According to the RMOJ, Petro-Hunt has been drilling vertical and horizontal  Red River wells in Dawson County for the past two years "with varied success."

So, that answers one of the questions regarding the Glendive area.

Makoshikah State Park, near Glendive. Montana's largest state park

9 comments:

  1. CedarHills field in Bowman County is an all horizontal red river field developed since 95 approx. According to CLR web site 6th largest oil field in lower 48. If you go to slope county on NDIC web site you will see a lot of permitted wells that were not drilled about the time the bakken took off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I have opined a couple of times on the site that they didn't stop drilling the Red River because it had been exhausted. They quit drilling because there were better prospects elsewhere. I think a lot of folks are forgetting that it's just a matter of time before they start targeting the Red River again. And the Madison. And the Tyler. And the Duperow. And so on.

      Delete
  2. There are several decent wells in the Red River formation in South Dakota.
    Here is one:
    Luff Exploration API#: 40 063 20066 01 Production: 2011yr-128,463 Cum 541,846

    Here is a link to SD production spreadsheets might be worth a look if you are interested: http://denr.sd.gov/des/og/producti.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I keep links to state oil sites for other states at "Data Links":

      http://milliondollarway.blogspot.com/p/data-links.html

      Delete
  3. ah yes I see them now thats alot fo links lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the links so that when I am with a mobile device, all I have to do is touch and click. Also when I'm on someone else's computer without bookmarks, I can find the sites easily.

      I'm glad you sent me the link; it reminded a lot of folks tonight of "Data Links."

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting the video about Makoshika. It is a great place an really under appreciated in my opinion. I know your discussion has headed in the direction of the Red River, but from what I hear the main buzz is the false Bakken. By reading this article you will see what I mean. http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/11/11/m2125632/algonquin-oil-gas-limited-announces-executed-definitive-agreements-rega

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was quite impressed how beautiful this park was.

      And, yes, I would agree that the "false Bakken" is what everyone is talking about in the Glendive area. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

      For newbies, the "false Bakken" is reached just before the upper Bakken; on some stratigraphic diagrams, the "false Bakken" is "synonymous" the Lodgepole formation. In some areas it is referred to as the Scallion, I believe.

      Delete
  5. This is somewhat relevant as it is near Glendive.
    http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/group/bakken-shale-golden-valley-county-nd/forum/topic/show?id=4401368%3ATopic%3A184065

    ReplyDelete