Monday, March 12, 2012

For Investors Only -- KOG

Updates

Later: from Motley Fool:
Despite its triple-digit P/E, some (including myself and my Foolish colleague Isac Simon) believe the company's stock might even be considered cheap. Fool analyst Dan Dzombak thinks that Kodiak might be ripe for a buyout, but macroeconomic trends are favorable for the company's continued success, even without digging into the deep pockets of a big-daddy driller. We've heard quite a lot about the high price of oil, and there's little reason to expect it to decline as high-growth regions like China and India push for greater prosperity.
From SeekingAlpha: Four independent oil and gas companies to consider
Mentioned: Ultra Petroleum, Contango Oil, KOG, Newfield. This sentence seems strange: "Kodiak did not declare dividends because of losses absorbed last reporting period." KOG has reported losses for the past five years (in addition to the last reporting period). Even without losses, the cash flow for most Bakken companies is such they would not be in a position to pay dividends. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, almost no (or none) pure-play Bakken companies pay a dividend. Maybe I'm reading that statement wrong.
Original Post

I don't get it. Thousands of companies to pick from, and again, a SeekingAlpha contributor highlights two oil companies, one of which is KOG.

Recently there was an article about four oil companies under a "short attack," which I did not post, or link, and won't today, but one of the four was KOG. With the price of oil down a buck today, I would have naturally thought that KOG, under a "short attack" and now with oil down, would naturally pull back, and significantly so.

But, as I said earlier, "I don't get it." Here KOG is today, holding its own.

This is just a random note; I have no plans to buy, sell, or do anything else with KOG in the near future. I never make recommendations; everyone has their specific goals and circumstances.

I just happened to hear CNBC mention XOM, and there's another surprise: oil is down a buck today, and XOM is up 1.5 percent. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment