Friday, February 3, 2012

Fracking -- Spelling

I was sent an e-mail regarding the spelling of "fracking.'

This is my unedited response, so it's not very pretty, but I have a lot of catching up to do, so I don't have a lot of time to dress things up.

Thank you for taking time to write.

It is, indeed, very possible that the faux environmentalists have co-opted my spelling.

And, it is the norm, as you suggest that in the oil patch, it is spelled the way you have it.

However, as noted, I was using "my" spelling long before the faux environmentalists and if anything, they have co-opted it. I think that I have been most consistent with spelling since the beginning, and it took awhile for mainstream media to agree.

I have talked about the "correct" spelling of fracking on several posts.

This was one of them:

http://milliondollarway.blogspot.com/2010/08/fracking-regulations-in-senate-bill.html

At this post, I noted that Forbes magazine misspelled bureaucrats, but spelled fracking correctly:

http://milliondollarway.blogspot.com/2011/11/forbes-what-me-worry.html

Here's Texas spelling it as "fracking" and the domestic oil industry usually follows the lead of the Texas Railroad Commission:

http://milliondollarway.blogspot.com/2011/07/texas-first-state-to-require-fracking.html

I think the AP has made "fracking" the preferred spelling.

If anyone confuses me for a rogue environmentalist, they have not read much of my site.

I am an environmentalist, but not a faux environmentalist. And I strongly believe CEOs like Harold Hamm are environmentalists also.

Faux environmentalists prefer thousands of trucks on the road instead of a pipeline; environmentalists prefer a pipeline.

Thank you for taking time to write.

By the way, I think Watford City is going to be center of activity in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment