Monday, February 6, 2012

Another Example of How "Big" the Bakken Is -- BP Reversed the Flow of the Cross-Panama Pipeline

The BP-cross-Panama pipeline used to run west-to-east to carry Alaska crude oil to Gulf coast refineries.

BP has just started shipping oil across Panama, going the opposite direction. BP completed the process of reversing the pipeline to run east-to-west back in 2009, to carry Bakken oil to west coast refineries.

The pipeline shut down in 1996 as Alaskan crude shipments declined and reopened in 2003 to transport Ecuadorian crude to the Gulf Coast (still west-to-east).

Except for that part about carrying Bakken oil, all the rest is from the linked article; I just thought I would throw that Bakken part in to capture current events.

2 comments:

  1. I have awaited reports of crude by rail to California, from ND, Permian, CO, OK, Eagle Ford, or wherever. I haven't seen it. Tesoro is taking some to WA.

    Why not the Pecos express train from Pecos to the coast? I don't know. There is demand at a premium price.

    anon 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BNSF has a huge rail operation going over the pass into southern California also; three tracks I believe. I did not know about the California premium. Interesting. I will watch for it now that I know, but something tells me, you will beat me to it if it's reported.

      Delete