Monday, January 16, 2012

How Good Is the NDIC? Compare It To New York -- No Comparison -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Update

Five minutes after original post: see first comment. "Anonymous" says New York State does have a map of its gas and oil wells. Memo to self: forward this post to the EPA. One has to really wonder about the EPA.

Original Post
Link here.

I assume "anon 1" has additional reasons for sending me this link but I was flabbergasted to read this advice from the EPA to New York State:
The federal agency also wants New York to develop a map of gas wells and to update it at least monthly to provide more information on drilling activities to the public.
A map! Update it at least monthly? Give me a break!

Neither the EPA nor the state has a map of gas wells in New York! And folks wonder why South Korea is light years ahead of the US in applied technology.

I have looked at a fair number of mineral/oil/gas sites for sites in the midwest/west -- never thought of looking at the New York (I don't even know if it exists) -- and have remarked on one occasion: the NDIC site is the best of the lot. And not by a small bit, but by a large margin.

I was lucky enough to "grow up" on the NDIC GIS map server. The first time I ever went to it, it seemed a bit foreign -- in fact, I think it was the first time I learned about "GIS." But with no instructions, I figured it out fairly quickly. There are still (a lot of) things I don't know about the NDIC GIS map server, I assume, but that's a personal problem, as we used to say in the Air Force.

GIS is not a trivial event. It's huge. I am impressed that North Dakota state has it. I think there is a private app for locating wells, but that would be the next best thing the NDIC could do: provide an app (or multiple tablet apps for the Williston Basin).

New York State has no map of its gas wells! I think there are at least four interactive, dynamic maps for North Dakota: NDIC, ESER, UND, and that app.

6 comments:

  1. http://www.dec.ny.gov/imsmaps/minerals/viewer.htm

    A GIS site for oil and gas wells in NYS. It's been around forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memo to self: forward this information to the EPA.

      Delete
  2. Having worked for the NDIC and dealt with similar departments in other states it is clear that the NDIC is one of if not the best state-run oil and gas regulation department in the country. I have heard this from many people in the industry as well. I hope people don't take them for granted because they do a fantastic job with the resources they have and the people they have are also outstanding. As an example just look at the core library (and visit if you ever get the chance, I worked there for a short time and actually my girlfriend still does while finishing up school), it is really amazing and you won't find something nearly as complete and well-run anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard similar kudos from others. I really am impressed with their products (website, reports, links, etc.) and they continue to improve their products.

    I get the feeling there is coordination and cooperation from industry, the university (UND), surface owners, the state, and others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHATS HAPPENING IN BILLINGS COUNTY THEY HAVE BEEN DRILLING LIKE CRAZY THERE. 8 WELLS CURRENTLY. HOWS PRODUCTION THERE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the earlier link which was wrong. Here is some preliminary data for Billings County:

      http://milliondollarway.blogspot.com/2012/02/update-for-billings-county.html

      Delete