Thursday, November 10, 2011

In Trace of TF: A Montana Hunter's Journey by Dan Aadland -- A Bit of Nature in the Bakken

Update

See comment below: for book lovers, a great site to find books.

Original Post

In 2002 I started an aggressive reading program. I had not "read" since my days in college. But for very private reasons I started reading with a vengeance in 2002.

I generally buy only used books, seldom paying full price. I now have a very nice library. The subject matter is not particularly important as long as it is "good" writing.  My attention span is such that it's difficult for me to read just one book at time; generally I have about four going, reading a few pages of each now and than, and eventually getting through them. I am not so worried about finishing a book; I simply enjoy reading "good" writing.

The four books on my bed or desk or couch right now are a) The Great Sea, by David Abulafia; b) Plains Folk: North Dakota's Ethnic History, by William Sherman; c) The Lakotas and the Black Hills, by Jeffrey Ostler; and, d) In Trace of TR: A Montana Hunter's Journey, by Dan Aadland.

In San Antonio my favorite bookstore is Half-Price Bookstore, a discount book store of used books. But in Williston, my favorite bookstore, and one of my favorite stores overall is Books on Broadway. And, yes, all four books above I bought at Books on Broadway. I have two copies of Plains Folks; my first copy is at home in San Antonio, but I enjoy it so much, I bought another copy so I could read it while visiting the Bakken.

I have just started reading Dan Aadland's book. Wow, it is awesome. Again, it is simply great writing; even if one does not get excited about the title or the subject matter, the writing is so good, one will enjoy reading it just for the sake of reading.

I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it three months ago, but now after being back in the Bakken for about that length of time, the book really hits home.

The author raises horses in south-central Montana. This is his third book (at least according to the jacket). Like Theodore Roosevelt, Aadland is a hunter on horseback and he is at home in Roosevelt's  North Dakota world. It is so much fun reading the words that are used out here to describe nature. I think my favorite phrase so far (I have not gotten very far in the book) is "mudded out." A driver and his pickup truck are "mudded out" during or shortly after a bit of rain that turns the clay to gumbo, and it's impossible for the truck to move. It does not bother him; in fact, he prepared for it, and he and his wife simply camp out in the nosecone of their gooseneck trailer (in which they are hauling horses) until the roads dry out.

I think out-of-state truckers, after about six months in the Bakken, would find this book very pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment