Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Story Behind Steve Jobs' Black Turtlenecks -- Absolutely Nothing To Do With The Bakken

I seldom post "inside stories" but this is a special occasion.

This is for another Steve, new to the area, who told us the background to Steve Jobs' black turtlenecks.  Steve was right on. Here it is from MacRumors:
"Sony, with its appreciation for style, had gotten the famous designer Issey Miyake to create its uniform. It was a jacket made of rip-stop nylon with sleeves that could unzip to make it a vest. So Jobs called Issey Miyake and asked him to design a vest for Apple, Jobs recalled, "I came back with some samples and told everyone it would great if we would all wear these vests. Oh man, did I get booed off the stage. Everybody hated the idea."
Despite being shot down by Apple employees, Jobs adopted the idea of a uniform for himself for the sake of convenience and identity, and drew on his friendship with Miyake to create his signature look.
"So I asked Issey to make me some of his black turtlenecks that I liked, and he made me like a hundred of them." Jobs noticed my surprise when he told this story, so he showed them stacked up in the closet. "That's what I wear," he said. "I have enough to last for the rest of my life."
For newbies: yes, this site is about the Bakken, but occasionally I post notes about Apple computers, my favorite computer. I own no shares in the Apple company.

No comments:

Post a Comment