Saturday, October 1, 2011

Nothing To Do With The Bakken -- Just a Rambling, Random Note

Without question one of the finest television stations is TCM -- Turner Classic Movies. I don't know how he does it, but movies are shown without commercial interruption. Last week, Winona Ryder, standing in for Robert Osbourne, introduced the films.

I've pretty much quit watching broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) except for NASCAR, and some football.

But TCM seldom disappoints.

This afternoon, Dr Zhivago. I know I saw it when it came out in 1965, and I've seen bits and pieces of it since. It's one movie I cannot watch from start to finish. It is incredibly sad, and then bittersweet, on so many levels.

Today, I happened to stumble across it just before the intermission; I don't know how long I will be able to watch it.

Some of the scenes are what I imagine President Obama's vision for America is. That is painful enough.

But most incredibly painful is the loss of a loved one, or perhaps even worse, "two ships passing in the night." Although the correct interpretation of the latter idiom isn't quite accurate for what I'm feeling, it will have to do for now.

Dr Zhivago puts much into perspective when thinking about the Bakken.


No comments:

Post a Comment