Napoleon, ND. Population 800.
Spokesperson says the town "leads the world in per capita construction." Lots of building and/or renovation going on in this small rural town, southeast of Bismarck.
Explanation for building:
- Progressive business community
- Strong crop prices over the past few years
- Cycle of improvement; one business upgrades, others follow (sort of the opposite of urban decay)
- "Generational turn" -- younger generation staying to take over parents' farm, ranch, or business
- More people, especially with young children, are attracted to small-town lifestyles