Saturday, October 22, 2011

CNN Found North Dakota On the Map -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

CNN: America's Boomtown: Williston --

I guess with the US pulling out of Iraq, the war over in Libya, and peace breaking out around the world, CNN poked around for the next BIG story. A day late and a dollar short, but they found the Bakken. Wow. I cannot believe the number of folks who have sent me the link to this article, including my younger daughter, who got up 4:00 a.m. to send it to me. Wow, what a great daughter.

I hadn't planned to link it; it's old, old news, but when my younger daughter sends it, I guess I have to link it.

By the way, for the old folks who enjoyed Rod Stewart in the past and for the young folks who yearn for some Irish folk singers, just for you (below the song is the link to the Bakken story):


I Don't Want to Talk About It, Rod Stewart and Amy Belle
I get chills up my spine (almost) every time I watch this, during the sax solo. 

And now the CNN link (the link is now broken -- apparently one of the few non-fake stories by CNN):
They're pulling in fat paychecks, but now they're also homeless.

In the town of Williston, N.D., America's newest oil boomtown, more than 6,000 job seekers have come from every corner of the country looking for work. Yet, oil companies and other developers haven't been able to build housing units fast enough.

In the past year, only about 2,000 new housing units have been built, leaving many workers out in the cold.
"...only about 2,000 new housing units have been built...." Wow, if only that was happening all over the US.

By the way, the city could issue thousands of permits but there wouldn't be enough folks to process them or build the houses. As it is, Menard's in Minot cannot keep up with demand from Williston.

CNN says 6,000 workers have come to Williston in the past year, but only 2,000 new housing units have been built. Three-room houses and/or apartments will solve that that problem.

By the end of 2013, this, too, will be a non-story.

No comments:

Post a Comment