Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful Day in the Bakken -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Earlier today I took a walk through a bit of downtown Williston, visiting my favorite bookstore en route, Books on Broadway. Chuck is out for the week -- visiting family out of state, I hear. I have three books in his store picked out to buy when he returns. I always enjoy chatting with him about the books I purchase from him. I'll wait until he gets back before I buy the books.

I already own one of the three books, but when traveling, I can't carry my library (and, no, I prefer these books the old-fashioned way, not on a Kindle) and I need to start a small library at the various places I stay when traveling.

But I digress.

It was an incredibly beautiful day. When I started my walk, the bank thermometer said 75 degrees, no wind. About a half -hour later, the temperature on the same thermometer was 77 degrees, and still no wind.

Part of the work took me to the busiest corner on the south side of Williston, where the trucks take a left turn from the industrial park to get on 2nd Stree West to head west out of Williston. At the time I did not know that Oasis would be siting a well inside city limits on this road, just a couple miles west. The city has also put in brand new pumping stations for water trucks to pick up fracking water. And, now, we will soon see a rig right on the edge of Williston. It will be quite a sight (and quite a site).

My mother happened to be in town today. I mentioned to her that I thought traffic was even heavier now that it was even two months ago when I was here the first time this summer. It really is incredible incredible how much traffic there is. I think it could be quite a site (and quite a sight) this winter with hazardous driving conditions even more hazardous.

But today, it couldn't have been prettier.

***************************

Many sing this song; none sing it better than Slim Dusty.


"When I'm along at night, I can see through all the triviality, of the day, and I'm okay. I just think of those who are dear to me." -- incredible poety on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment