Saturday, June 18, 2011

No Amtrak Service in North Dakota Due to Floods

Link here.

I took Amtrak from Boston to Williston a couple of weeks, but was literally stranded in Williston when my return trip was canceled due to flooding. I eventually got back to Boston but it was not with Amtrak.
Amtrak officials say flooding in separate areas of northern North Dakota has forced a temporary shutdown of passenger rail service between St. Paul, Minn., and Spokane, Wash.

The company said Wednesday two bridges are threatened because of rising water in the Devils Lake basin, and the rail station in Minot was closed after water flooded the basement.

Amtrak has canceled service through Sunday in North Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Minnesota, except in St. Paul. This suspension includes the daily originations of the trains from Portland, Seattle and Chicago, but the company will provide alternate transportation in Washington and Oregon.
But not alternate transportation through Dakota and Montana. Sad.

4 comments:

  1. A sign from the Gods, that your place should be in North Dakota...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree -- I often think about returning to North Dakota on a permanent basis ... maybe in a year or two...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sure, you are sticking around because the Bruins won the Sir Stanly Cup!

    I am so happy for all North Dakotans, as the state will no longer be viewed as America's doormat...

    I wonder, Mr Oksol, what the prospects are for South Dakota, regarding the Bakkens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog has several links to sites with maps of the Bakken.

    Check out "Data Links" at the top of the blog. I am using my iPad which won't allow "cut and paste" otherwise I would paste a link here.

    Short answer: there may be other formations in South Dakota but the Bakken won't be one of them.

    ReplyDelete