Saturday, January 22, 2011

FEMA Approved $5.8 Million for Food Fight -- Not a Bakken Story

Oh, never mind. I misread the headline at the Bismarck Tribune. The $5.8 million approved by FEMA was not for a food fight but for a "flood fight."

The link will soon be broken since it links to a regional newspaper, but the story pertains to providing financial assistance to Minnewaukan, a small town in North Dakota, that is being severely affected by the encroaching Devils Lake. Federal, state and local funds are being used to help save the town's infrastructure and the buildings.

But I have to admit, it was not beyond FEMA, in my estimation, to grant $6 million for a food fight.

I am getting way too old and way too cynical. Smile.

On a completely different note, I am completely stymied by the Devils Lake situation, and even more stymied on the state government's approach to the situation. The article says the lake has quadrupled in size since 1993 "due to some wet years."  Well, duh.

2 comments:

  1. I'm originally from Minnewaukan. It is a total waste of money that could be better spent somewhere else. They could buy out every house in town for less than that. House value in that city is less than 60,000 and I don't think there are 100 family's left in town. This money is on top of the money that the city is receiving to move the school for a district that has 9 or so actual kids in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have to agree with you but I try very hard not to step on any toes. I had the same thought, but my home is not Minnewaukan, so I had to be balanced.

    Somehow, the Garrison Dam and flooding native American homes come to mind.

    Again, I appreciate you candor.

    ReplyDelete