Sunday, December 12, 2010

More Temporary Housing ("Man-Camps") Opening This Week -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Hundreds of more units among at least four new "man-camps" will be opening this next week to provide housing for oil workers in western North Dakota. A fifth one was previous announced.

Maybe someone else can do a better job of keeping track, but by my count, this Williston Herald story reports on five "man-camps": three near Williston; one near Tioga; and, one near Stanley, all in North Dakota.  Three of them are Target Logistics (Williston, Tioga and Stanley). A fourth is operated by ATCO, recently opened near Williston, and a fifth is operated by Halliburton (Williston).

Someone was nice enough to provide in the comment section below all the man-camps and their locations in and around Williston. It is quite remarkable to say the least.

Some may recall that Halliburton announced earlier this year that it would be going to 24/7 fracking operations (around the clock).

Note: this link references a possible man-camp near South Heart.

Update: human interest story on a typical man-camp. Posted December 16, 2010.

5 comments:

  1. there was permit discussion for a man camp in the dickinson paper for the South heart ND area in late oct or early nov of this year. what ever occured with this??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce,
    Isn't Stanley still in ND?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target has two camps in Williston. One north of town a few miles and the Vancouver camp for Halliburton is also a Target camp. That one is located at Halliburtons new yard just east of town right next door to Sanjel. Halliburton also has another camp (looks like trailer houses more than a "camp") south of Schlumberger Well Service right across the road from the Brigham Williston well. It was joked that when Halliburton fracked that well they could just roll outta bed and go to work.

    ATCO camp is also north of Williston located at the old A-1 Auto yard.

    I know there are a few more camps in Williston currently or coming soon. Baker Hughes has a small camp east of town similar to Halliburtons south of SLB.

    Lonetree is putting up a camp for GE west of Williston a few miles.

    That puts about 5 or 6 in Williston alone! Things are just beginning to get crazy! Everyone says we haven't seen anything yet. May/June might be INSANE!!! After frost laws are lifted we'll see more rigs popping up I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mean Sidney Montana. Stanley is in North Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't anyone else write and tell me I'm an idiot. I admit it; I am an idiot. Smile.

    Actually, I was impressed how nice everyone was to point out my error; no one called me an idiot (but I know they were thinking it). Smile.

    Yes, Stanley is in North Dakota. Even as I wrote out Stanley, Montana, it did not "sound" right, but I was tired (I was up most the night).

    I was thinking of Sidney, Montana.

    I just lost whatever credibility I had. Sorry. But thank you everyone for pointing that out so I could correct it.

    The comment regarding all the man-camps in and around Williston is excellent; I may re-post that as part of the main post since I assume a lot of folks don't read the comments.

    With regard to the man-camp near South Heart, I did not misplace it; I have no idea what happened to it. But if Whiting becomes as active in the area as it appear it might; if the coal beneficiation plants move to full capacity; and, if the Lodgepole reefs prove exciting, we may see man-camps around South Heart also.

    ReplyDelete